December 12, 2015

[Review] It Had to Be Love - Tamra Baumann

ARC provided by Netgalley.

This was a nice reading but only to a point. Then it was plain boring.

The characters were charming but barely relatable. The two were just a bit too stereotypical and perfect which made it hard to believe they could exist. The two were beautiful and wealthy and to top it off they loved reading. They both had jobs but neither of them cared for what they did, causing me to think even more it was just too fixed by the author. Like, riding a helicopter? Really? They live half in middle class half way too out to be credible. I think I could buy Tara due to her forced change of life but the helicopter belonged to Ryan's family, who also happened to basically own the whole town. I felt like I could never really grasp who their characters were in real life and the only excuse that could save this is the eccentric small town excuse.

With that complaint out of the way but having mentioned the town, I have to say that part was quite entertaining. I laughed at every inside that happened. Raised at a small town myself, I did enjoy the atmosphere the author knew how to set.

I also enjoyed the family scenes despite again not being quite believable that a family with such a history could have siblings who shared such a warm love. It did make me forget about his abusive father and estranged mother not counting a crazy grandmother and a whole pressure to live up to the legacy. Still, the siblings and their offspring were indeed enjoyable.

The happenings used to advance the plot were also a little suspicious with the way information on Tara's past was practically spilled to Ryan despite all.

I also didn't like how intrusive Ryan acted the whole book. I did like both of the main characters—in truth there wasn't much to hate except in the powerful psycho hacker of an ex-husband, who could locate Tara with just a Google search for her name. Still, why couldn't Ryan just give her room? She wasn't even lying anymore, most of the book she just asked time until she could open up to him. I didn't feel the "she could be in danger" excuse for his behavior the author used from time to time.

I find my favorite character to be Ruth, Ryan's grandmother. It's good knowing she'll be present in the others from the series. She's smart and always has the best dialogs.

As for the development, I found it lost a bit of steam. I took forever to reach the ending because I could see what would happen after we passed the middle mark and I didn't really look forward to reading it. I did enjoy the action scenes close to the end but they didn't compensate the effort until I reached them. The super hacker psychopath husband proved to be a silly threat that would only really do anything during the climax while it was Tara's fear what drove us until then. I think with such a potential for a villain the ex-husband could have done more to keep us turning pages instead of waiting and having us skip them.

I do think this book has its value as the author tried to bring interesting elements but it doesn't deliver very well. 

Rate: 2 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment