December 12, 2015

[Review] Finding Hope - Colleen Nelson

ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange of an honest review. Many thanks to Dudurn for trusting me with the task, being my first time reviewing for them.

Hope has a problem and she has found a solution. After being the sister of the hockey-star-meth addict of her small town, she can now go to a board school and start a new life away in the city.

Written from two points of view, both Hope's and Eric's, her older brother, this a story about family, dealing with problems and the importance of asking for help. Being a young adult, we find the usual elements, such as friendships, or lack of true friends, getting in touch with ones true identity, dealing with loneliness, finding our true place. The narration from both sides is beautiful and thus touching. Despite Hope's problems center some false friendships at her new school, and bullying, her angst comes from deeper, as the shadow of her ties to her brother ensues.

The content is not gruesome but maybe be called of a strong nature, which includes drugs and sexual abuse, as well as depression. The story is not lighthearted but I wouldn't say it is too heavy all considered. I think the author knew where to stop so we don't get lost in all the possible drama. Just enough for the reader to know she is talking for real. The pace is slow but it never stops. I would say the main theme here is "bonds". Not only family ties but the bonds we make or fail to make along the way.

I think the highlight was the description of how hard Eric had fallen. Sometimes, I thought his situation was presented in a shallow manner, but then the author would present me such a scenario through her words and the objects she would highlight from the background I had to retreat my opinion. That said, I don't think her approach was ideal, however it was far superior from other YA novels around. Also, I have to mention the awesome cover. It tells you a lot from the general atmosphere you will find with so little.

The down point was its pace. I do think that, for someone who has suffered so much deception from her brother, Hope was still too naive. I don't blame the victim but from her life experience, she should know better. Still, I was never mad at her, she was a brave but real girl for me. The pace, on the other hand, had me wondering if the book was really 200 pages and not a thousand. Don't get me wrong, it is still possible to go through it in one seating. A 200-page book could still be a quicker seating. It gets better, both the pacing and the story gets you to stick around after 20 or 30%, especially once you're on the 50% mark. Still, I was glad to read the editor asked the author to sacrifice half her draft, according to her notes.

I recommend it to all YA readers who aren't beaten by slow pace. I will definitely look out for more from this author.

Rate: 4 out 5

No comments:

Post a Comment